We hope you are ready to dive deep into the local San Francisco pet scene right now. You’re probably not all looking for the same things, but there should be enough information here to help you plan your next move no matter what that is.
It really feels like the best way for this to get started is to break down the best San Francisco pet stores. Puppies, kittens, toys, food, and supplies may all be purchased at them making them a one-stop shop for most of your needs.
The best local animal shelters for dog and cat adoption will be listed next. The next few sections will discuss dog parks, puppy trainers, and dog bakeries in your area.
Then it’ll be time to talk about pet grooming spas near you and dog or cat cafes around the city. We can’t presume everyone reading this lives in this area so we’ll recommend some pet-friendly hotels too.
As we move forward we’ll talk about the best pet boarding facilities in town, followed by some doom and gloom topics like veterinarians and dog or cat cremation services to get you out of here. Make sure to look at the map towards the end so you can find out which spots are closest to where you are right now.
Best Pet Stores In San Francisco
Whether you are trying to add a member to your family or just want to buy new toys, food, or supplies the best pet stores in San Francisco should be able to satisfy your needs:
- Bernal Beast at 509 Cortland Ave
- Jeffrey’s Natural Pet at 1841 Powell St
- Pawtrero Bathhouse & Feed Co at 199 Brannan St
- Animal House at 157 Fillmore St
- Village Pets & Supplies at 1036 Hyde St
- The Animal Connection at 3401 Irving St
- Togs For Dogs & Cats Too at 24 41st Ave, San Mateo
- Pet Club San Mateo at 1850 S Norfolk St, San Mateo
- Pet Food Express at 372 Woodside Rd, Redwood City
- Rororiri at 180 El Camino Real Bldg BB #1145, Palo Alto
- Healthy Spot at 1510 Walnut St, Berkeley
Bernal Beast was voted Best of the Bay Pet Store in 2020 and carries healthy and natural pet food, supplements, treats, toys and supplies for dogs, cats, chickens, birds and other small animals. They also have dog training classes, self-service bathing stations, create custom pet ID tags, dog walking, pet sitting, and professional grooming.
Jeffrey’s Natural Pet offers handcrafted raw foods, healthy treats, toys, supplements, locally produced goods, and supplies for dogs and cats. You can also try their dog training classes and puppy socials, as well as monthly non-anesthesia dentistry clinics for both dogs and cats at affordable prices.
Pawtrero Bathhouse & Feed Co. offers the most comprehensive assortment of raw and holistic foods for cats and dogs at competitive pricing. They also feature a self-service bathing station for your furry friend.
Animal House provides holistic pet food, treats, toys, accessories and high-quality pet products. Village Pets & Supplies is a one-stop shop offering a wide range of food and supplies for dogs, cats, small animals, fish, reptiles and birds in your area. A self-serve wash station, nail trims, and anesthesia-free dental cleaning for dogs and cats are also possible.
The Animal Connection is the largest independent local pet store and rescue who not only provides expert advice and carries amazing premium products, but also does boarding and grooming for small mammals, birds, and reptiles. They can also assist with surrendered and rescued guinea pigs, mice, hamsters, parakeets, budgies and more.
Togs in San Mateo offers an assortment of toys, chews, leashes, collars, bowls, accessories, and more. Stylish and attractive clothing for your dog is available at Rororiri in Palo Alto.
Healthy Spot sells a variety of healthy pet foods and toys in Berkeley.
Animal Shelters & Adoption
You can find plenty of dogs and pets for adoption at these animal shelters near you:
- SF SPCA Mission Adoption Center at 250 Florida St
- SF Animal Care & Control at 1200 15th St
- Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA at 12 Airport Blvd, San Mateo
- Pets In Need at 871 Fifth Ave, Redwood City
- Palo Alto Humane Society at 4000 Middlefield Rd D1, Palo Alto
Your local SPCA Mission Adoption Center also offers veterinary services and pet training. SF Animal Care & Control is a non-profit organization that gives information on lost and found dogs and accepts volunteers.
Both the Peninsula Humane Society in San Mateo and Pets In Need in Redwood City provide shelter and adoption services for animals.
All of these do a great job with rehoming and adoptions, plus they might be able to assist with lost and found pet situations.
Get out all of that energy by letting them run around of these dog parks:
- Bernal Heights Dog Park
- Fort Funston Dog Park
- Duboce Dog Park
- Corona Heights Dog Park
- Glen Canyon Dog Park
- Alamo Square Dog Park
- Golden Gate Park
- Ocean Beach
- Crissy Field Park
Whether you want to try and teach an old dog a new trick or need puppy training services in your area contact:
- Primepaw at 243 Alabama St
- SF Puppy Prep at 251 6th St
- SmartyPup! at 3119 Vicente St
- K9 Master Dog Training at 1701 Coyote Point Dr, San Mateo
- Rav’n Dog Training at 346 El Camino Real, Redwood City
- Sirius Puppy & Dog Training at 1301 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
- Koru K9 Dog Training
Puppy day school, puppy socials, group lessons, doggie daycare, and off-leash dog walking experiences are all available at Primepaw. SF Puppy Prep provides puppy classes augmented by private training, puppy socials, and puppy day school for those under 16 weeks of age. Some of you may also be interested in their dog training internship academy, a comprehensive education for budding trainers.
At SmartyPup! they offer basic training courses for dogs 8 weeks and older, as well as a puppy social program and a day school. K9 Master assists pet owners in training and resolving behavioral issues with their dogs in San Mateo.
Sirius offers dog training lessons, puppy kindergarten, and obedience training in Berkeley. Koru K9 Dog Training provides private in-home dog training, as well as board and train and hybrid programs for real-world behavior modification and rehabilitation. They even have a dog training school to teach the owners.
San Francisco SPCA and San Francisco Animal Care & Control from the animal shelters list, Bernal Beast and Jeffrey’s Natural Pet from the pet stores list, as well as Wag Hotels, Fog City Dogs, and Pet Camp from the boarding list also offer dog training.
For a real special treat visit one of these dog bakeries:
Le Marcel Bakery for Dogs also offers the most up-to-date clothes, collars, beds, toys, and bath products on the market. Mishka sells tasty treats made with all-natural ingredients, there are no artificial colors, preservatives, gmo, fillers, and no antibiotics in anything they sell.
San Francisco Pet Grooming
These San Francisco pet groomers will get your dog or cat looking their best for sure:
- Bernie’s Grooming City Dog at 177 Brannan St
- Doggie Day Spaw at 920 Harrison St
- Mudpuppy’s Tub & Scrub at 536 Castro St
- The Dog Barber at 1903 Market St
- SF Dog Parlour at 9 Leland Ave
- Scrub-A-Pup at 119 W 25th Ave, San Mateo
- 60 Bucks Mobile Grooming at 216 Grand Blvd #5, San Mateo
- Raul’s Grooming Center at 1530 Main St, Redwood City
- Oh My Dogs & Cats at 901 Salt Ct, Redwood City
- Classic Pet Grooming at 572 Arastradero Rd, Palo Alto
- Auntie M’s Paw Spa at 3000 Danville Blvd #d, Alamo
Bernie’s Grooming City Dogs offers full grooming services, touch-up services, and a signature 7-step bath that includes a wash, conditioner, the nails trimmed or filled, anal gland expressed, ears cleaned, paws dried, and brushing for 15 minutes. Doggie Day Spaw provides a range of services to pamper your pet, including full grooming, touch-up services, doggie dentals, and microbubble baths.
Excellent washing service, full-service grooming, nail clipping, flea treatments, and more are all possible at Mudpuppy’s Tub & Scrub. The Dog Barber provides two types of services for dogs of any size, age, or breed, including full grooming services as well as baths and trims.
There are a number of personalized treatments to make your pooch feel extra special at SF Dog Parlour including full-service bathing, grooming, cat grooming, hair dying, flea treatments, nail painting, gland expressions, dental cleaning, and more.
Scrub-A-Pup in San Mateo provides services for washing, grooming, nail grinding, teeth cleaning, and more. Bay Area mobile dog grooming services are available at 60 Bucks.
Raul’s in Redwood City offers full washing, toenail trimming, and blow drying as well as pet tools, ointments, and treats. Grooming, play activities, and spa treatments can all be enjoyed by your dog at Auntie M’s in Alamo.
Bernal Beast, Pawtrero Bathhouse & Feed Co, and The Animal Connectionis from the pet stores list, as well as Wag Hotels, Fog City Dogs, Pet Camp, and Mr Muggles’ Dogs from the boarding list also do animal grooming in your area.
KitTea Cat Café at 1266 Valencia Street is a cat-only cafe, please don’t bring any dogs or other pets.
Hotels That Allow Pets
If you are visiting and need a hotel that allows pets stay at:
- San Francisco Proper Hotel at 45 McAllister St
- Hotel Zoe Fisherman’s Wharf at 425 N Point St
- Harbor Court Hotel at 165 Steuart St
- Hotel Emblem at 562 Sutter St
- Marriott at 1770 S Amphlett Blvd, San Mateo
- Residence Inn at 2000 Winward Way, San Mateo
- Hilton Garden Inn at 4216 El Camino Real, Palo Alto
- Residence Inn at 2121 Center St, Berkeley
Pet Boarding In San Francisco
When you need to leave town use one of these San Francisco pet boarding services:
- Wag Hotels at 25 14th St
- Fog City Dogs at 2280 Shafter Ave
- Pet Camp at 525 Phelps St
- Mr Muggles’ Dogs at 2175 Harrison St
- High Tail Hotel at 2275 Revere Ave
- Hound Away From Home at 30 N Grant St, San Mateo
- Bay Area Pet Pals at 1100 Vailwood Way, San Mateo
- Woofs & Wiggles at 840 Sweeney Ave, Redwood City
- A Dog’s Life at 885 Commercial St, Palo Alto
- The Barkmont at 2730 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley
Luxurious pet boarding and many services like dog walking, grooming, daycare, and training are all possible at Wag Hotels. Fog City Dogs provides all-suite dog boarding, fun dog daycare, training, and premium grooming in an interactive and social atmosphere.
Pet Camp is the most well-known and beloved daycare and boarding facility for dogs and cats in your area. Dog training, kitty kindergarten, grooming, and a bus to pick up and drop off your pet are among their services. They also have a Friendly Friday event every week and if your dog brings a friend along who has never been before they both get in free.
High Tail Hotel is a cage free daycare and boarding facility with 24-hour supervision for the urban dog that does some basic grooming. Hound Away From Home in San Mateo features a spacious backyard and provides daily photos for updates while your dog is in their care.
Large interior rooms with beds, blankets, and toys are available at Woofs and Wiggles in Redwood City. The Barkmont offers daycare and boarding services in Berkeley with aromatherapy and soft soothing music.
The Animal Connections from our pet stores list and Animal Farm Pet Hospital and Mission Pet Hospital from the veterinarians list also offer boarding.
Best Veterinarians Near You
If medical problems arise head to one of the best veterinarians near you and get the best care:
- Mission Pet Hospital at 720 Valencia St
- Ocean Avenue Veterinary Hospital at 1001 Ocean Ave
- Irving Pet Hospital at 1434 Irving St
- Animal Farm Pet Hospital San Francisco at 5601 Mission St
- Presidio Way Veterinary Hospital at 3619 California St
- Crystal Springs Pet Hospital at 122 De Anza Blvd, San Mateo
- Whipple Avenue Pet Hospital at 635 Whipple Ave, Redwood City
- Palo Alto Pet Doctor at 3805 Magnolia Dr, Palo Alto
- Sexton Clinic at 3162 Danville Blvd, Alamo
- Berkeley Dog & Cat Hospital at 2126 Haste St, Berkeley
Any on that list should be able to provide standard veterinary care for animals like microchipping, vaccines, flea and tick prevention, parasite control, cremations, euthanasia, other end of life care, and basic surgical or medical procedures. Mission Pet Hospital provides 24 hour veterinary care, critical and emergency care, and boarding.
Irving Pet Hospital also offers emergencies, microchipping, and pet passports. Animal Farm Pet Hospital can handle emergency services, microchipping, and pet boarding. Microchip Home Retrieval System, euthanasia, and crematory services are possible at Presidio Way Veterinary Hospital.
Crystal Springs Pet Hospital in San Mateo offers comprehensive diagnostic and laboratory testing. Vaccinations, dental care, diagnostic services, and surgeries are available at Whipple Avenue Pet Hospital in Redwood City. Blood tests and medical treatments are also provided at Palo Alto Pet Doctor.
Anyone who needs emergency 24 hour veterinary care can call Bay Area Veterinary Housecall Associates at +1 415-963-4189.
Pet Cremation & Euthanization
You can get pet cremation and euthanasia in the Bay Area at:
- Golden Gate Home Hospice and Euthanasia at 491 27th Ave
- Peaceful Pathways In-Home Pet Hospice & Euthanasia at 2625 Middlefield Road #290, Palo Alto
Golden Gate Home Hospice and Euthanasia provides quality of life, hospice care, and humane euthanasia services to dogs, cats, rabbits, exotic animals, fish, birds, pigs, and pocket pets.
Peaceful Pathways in Palo Alto offers palliative medicine, hospice, pain management, and euthanasia services. Presidio Way Veterinary Hospital is another option for euthanasia and cremation services.
We want to share a few useful links before we get you out of here like these two for lost and found pets. And then there are these that show currently adoptable animals in your area, and this one discusses local dog licensing laws.
You may also want to read some of our other posts on nearby cities like:
Have Fun With Your Pets In San Francisco
Well guys, we did our best to cover the scene in full for you today. You just learned about a whole lot of pet stores, local animal shelters, adoptions, dog parks, puppy trainers, bakeries, groomers, cafes, hotels that allow pets, places to board your dogs or cats, and even veterinarian or cremation services.
You could really help us and all of our readers out by letting us know if you noticed anything incorrect, or by sharing your own local pet tricks and tips. Hopefully you have a great time visiting any San Francisco pet stores, shelters, dog parks, or whatever places you learned about on this page.