We will be going over everything we know about pets in Portland, Oregon in full detail for you on this page today. Our only real goal is to share anything you may need to know about the subject at hand in one place.
Even if we want to cover everything, there’s no better place to start than a list of the best Portland pet stores. They are probably the major reason you came to our blog, and they should be able to help you buy puppies, kittens, toys, food, and other necessities.
Next you will learn about the best local animal shelters in your area for people who would prefer to adopt a dog, cat, or other animal. The following three sections cover dog parks, puppy trainers, and dog bakeries in your region.
Following that we will focus on pet grooming spas and dog or cat cafes. Then we will mention some pet friendly hotels and overnight boarding facilities near you for the frequent travelers out there.
Veterinarians and pet cremation services are not the most upbeat subjects but they still must be addressed. You might want to stick around for our local pet map at the conclusion.
Check out all of our Pacific NW animal lovers blogs at that link.
Best Pet Stores In Portland
The best Portland pet stores are where to go if you want to buy a new puppy, kitten, toys, food, or any kind of supplies:
- Pets on Broadway at 2762 NE Broadway St
- The Filling Station Pet Supplies at 2001 NE Alberta St
- Meat for Cats & Dogs at 2244 E Burnside St
- Mud Bay at 3230 NE Broadway
- Nature’s Pet Market at 111 NW 21st Ave
- Salty’s Pet Supply at 4039 N Mississippi Ave #104
- Portland Pet Supply at 4242 SE Hawthorne Blvd
- For Paws at 3340 SE Division St
- Green Dog Pet Supply at 4327 NE Fremont St
- Pacific Pets at 528 SE Baseline St, Hillsboro
- Animal House Pet Shop at 358 Warner Milne Rd #110, Oregon City
- Healthy Pet at 16140 Boones Ferry Rd, Lake Oswego
- Happy Tails Pet Center at 4370 SE King Rd #250-260, Milwaukie
- Unleashed at 20649 SW Roy Rogers Rd #301, Sherwood
Pets on Broadway is the largest locally owned independent pet store near you with a broad selection of birds, small animals, reptiles, amphibians, insects, and fresh and saltwater fish to choose from. There’s also a nice range of hand-selected plants for your home or terrarium.
The Filling Station specializes in selling high-quality pet food, treats, and supplies.
If the name didn’t fill you in Meat for Cats and Dogs sells meat for animals. In all seriousness they sell high quality raw food for cats and dogs made with meat plus they have some canned options and can help you figure out the right healthy diet for your little buddy.
Mud Bay also focuses on selling high quality and healthy pet foods, treats, toys, and accessories near you. There are actually 8 Mud Bay stores around this city, and over fifty across the Northwest.
Nature’s Pet Market is a locally owned and managed pet supply store that specializes in healthy and affordable dog, cat, and small animal food and supplies and they do grooming too.
Salty’s is your neighborhood pet supply store offering a large selection of low-cost supplies including food, toys, and accessories for cats, dogs, birds, and other small animals.
If you are looking for a family-owned and run business that sells pet food, toys, crates, and treats head to Portland Pet Supply who also can handle dog and cat vaccines.
For Paws focuses on selling natural local cat and dog food, treats, and supplies.
You will find environmentally friendly pet gear at Green Dog Pet Supply where great nutrition and other types of holistic assistance are a guarantee.
Pacific Pets is a locally owned full-service pet store in Hillsboro that has high-end dog, cat, bird, and most other small animal foods, treats, and more including pet-specific CBD oils and treat.
For a family-owned and run full-line pet store that sells top-of-the-line brands, premium pet foods, and cute healthy animals consider Animal House Pet Shop in Oregon City.
Healthy Pet in Lake Oswego sells all the healthy treats, tasty chews, and fun toys your dog or cat could want along with travel gear, collars, leashes, harnesses, beds, crates, kitty litter, scratch posts, dental chews, grooming supplies, digestive aids, and natural remedies for things like anxiety, itchy skin, and joint support.
Happy Tails Pet Center is an independent holistically-minded pet store in Milwaukie where you can find some of the best pet meals, vitamins, and supplies on the market and they even do dog grooming in a friendly and stress-free atmosphere.
Animal Shelters & Adoption
These local animal shelters should have plenty of cute dogs and pets for adoption:
- Oregon Humane Society at 1067 NE Columbia Blvd
- The Pixie Project at 510 NE MLK Jr Blvd
- Family Dogs New Life Shelter at 9101 SE Stanley Ave
- Animal Aid PDX at 5335 SW 42nd Ave
- Oregon Friends of Shelter Animals at 1853 NE Cornell Rd #C, Hillsboro
- Project Pooch at 15800 Boones Ferry Rd a2, Lake Oswego
- Cat Adoption Team at 14175 SW Galbreath Dr, Sherwood
Pet adoption, pet training, information for lost and found pets, end-of-life and pet memorial services are all available at the Oregon Humane Society.
The Pixie Project focuses on adoption but they also maintain a clinic called Pixie Treatment Clinic that provides affordable veterinary care to homeless and low-income citizens in the area.
Family Dogs New Life Shelter is a no-kill dog shelter dedicated to saving needy dogs of all breeds, ages, and origins and it is a great place to adopt your new best friend.
Animal Aid is a nonprofit animal rescue and welfare organization that improves the welfare of companion animals via customized care and lifetime commitment, rescue and adoption, resources and education, and community connections.
Another great animal rescue group that works to minimize the number of adoptable animals euthanized in overcrowded shelters, restore their health, and give them with permanent loving homes through adoption is Oregon Friends of Shelter Animals in Hillsboro.
Project Pooch is a non-profit organization that provides adoptions and services in Lake Oswego including boarding, daycare, and grooming.
Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood is the biggest cat shelter in the Pacific Northwest providing adoption, foster care, and veterinary services to homeless cats and kittens.
You know your furry friend would love nothing more than to run around one of these dog parks:
- Chimney Park
- Fernhill Park
- Sandy River Delta Park
- Laurelhurst Park
- The Fields Park
- Council Crest Park
- Mount Tabor Park
- Sellwood Riverfront Park
- Brentwood Park
- Portland International Raceway
- Luuwit View Dog Park
- Hollywood Dog Park
- Good Dog Park
- Lynchwood Park
- Irving Park Dog Park
- Hondo Dog Park in Hillsboro
- Tyrone S Woods Memorial Park in Oregon City
- Waluga Dog Park in Lake Oswego
- Hazelia Dog Park in Lake Oswego
- Off-Leash Dog Park in West Linn
- North Clackamas Parks & Recreation District in Milwaukie
- Sherwood Dog Park in Sherwood
It might be hard to teach an old dog a new trick but these puppy training services will give you the best shot:
- The Canine Classroom at 8138 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy
- Wonder Puppy at 1500 NW 18th Ave #117
- Happy-Go-Lucky Dog Training at 601 NE 28th Ave
- Kindred Dog PDX Dog Training at 4815 SE Division St
- Leader of the Pack Dog Training at 8645 SW Birchwood Rd
- Pavlov Dog Training at 329 NE Couch St
- For the Love of Dogs Training at 3520 SE Birchleaf St, Hillsboro
- Cascade Canine at 17520 S Holly Ln, Oregon City
- The Scooby Shack at 17620 63rd Ave, Lake Oswego
- Reynolds Dog Resort at 2175 SW Borland Rd, West Linn
- Harmony Canine at 13233 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Milwaukie
- Om Dog at 17768 SW Heatherwood Ln, Sherwood
Portland Monthly Magazine named The Canine Classroom “Best Dog Trainer” and they exclusively offer private instruction.
Puppy day camp, group training, and private sessions are all available at Wonder Puppy.
Puppy kindergarten, an out on the town session, and private instruction are all available at the Happy-Go-Lucky Dog Training in your area.
Kindred Dog PDX Training provides owners with the tools, information, and support they need to effectively interact with their dog as well as a secure and controlled learning environment in which all customers may gain the skills they need to live better with their little buddy.
Expect to find a variety of training and behavior modification programs at Leader of the Pack allowing you to acquire the tools you need to bring harmony and happiness to your own pack.
Pavlov Dog Training offers private training which includes weekly visits from a professional trainer as well as board and train program in which a dog lives in the house of his or her dog trainer and learns during the day.
Positive reinforcement dog training in the comfort of your own home is the focus of For the Love of Dogs Training in Hillsboro which will give them the confidence and abilities that enhance behavior.
Cascade Canine in Oregon City is a small locally owned and operated family business that provides personalized classes, boarding, and balanced dog training to meet everyone’s lifestyle.
Effective training, training materials, and continuous assistance to ensure long-term outcomes as well as cage-free dog daycare and dog boarding with 24-hour care can be found at The Scooby Shack in Lake Oswego.
Reynolds Dog Resort is a family-owned business where some of the best dog training, boarding, daycare, and spa services in the West Linn region go down at a facility with big indoor enclosures, suites, and private outdoor areas.
Harmony Canine in Milwaukie offers high-quality teaching for your family pets as well as your competitive partners through day training, boarding, and courses utilizing only the most current and advanced dog training methods.
Board and e-collar training, e-collar day training, boarding, and check-in visits are what Om Dog in Sherwood does best.
A tasty treat from one of these dog bakeries will really show your appreciation:
- Hip Hound at 610 NW 23rd Ave
- Pawsh Pet Café at 7827 SW Capitol Hwy
- Puppernickel at 133 SE 3rd Ave, Hillsboro
- Sugah’s Cookies
All-natural baked goods for the most discerning dog as well as a variety of retail items and a self-serve dog wash are what you will get at Pawsh Pet Cafe.
Puppernickel is a family-owned doggie bakery in Hillsboro where you can get all-natural healthful treats created with human-grade ingredients that have been human-tested and pup-approved.
Sugah’s Cookies offers fresh baked dog treats and cakes made with all-natural, human-grade ingredients that contain no corn, soy, rice, wheat, or white flour.
Portland Pet Grooming
To help your dog or cat look better than ever bring them to one of these Portland pet groomers:
- The Bow Wow Grooming Boutique at 9135 SE Washington St
- Heather’s Finest Dog & Cat Grooming at 1411 SW 14th Ave
- You Dirty Dog PDX at 1215 NE 76th Ave
- Mudpuppies Grooming On Lombard at 926 N Lombard St
- The Good Companion Dog Grooming at 3840 SE Gladstone St
- Yappy Dog Pet Grooming at 6715 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy
- Cute Cuts Dog Grooming at 1011 SE Walnut St, Hillsboro
- Bratdogz Pet Spa at 619 Railroad Ave, Oregon City
- BarkZone Dog Grooming at 19 S State St, Lake Oswego
- Safe & Hound Doggy Daycare at 2320 Willamette Falls Dr, West Linn
- A Cut Above at 11062 SE 21st Ave, Milwaukie
- Paws For Elegance at 20345 SW Pacific Hwy #108, Sherwood
At the Bow Wow Grooming Boutique all of their comprehensive grooming services include a bath, ear cleaning, nail clipping, and gland expression.
Heather’s Finest Dog and Cat Grooming is another quality grooming service in your area.
You Dirty Dog PDX is a full-service mobile grooming business that offers washing, clipping, nail grinding, ear cleaning, and other services for dogs of all types and sizes.
Mudpuppies On Lombard is a full-service local pet grooming salon with skilled personnel that can accommodate all breeds.
Dogs of various sizes and shapes from the smallest Chihuahua to the biggest doodle breeds will look great after visiting The Good Companion.
Yappy Dog specializes in all breed cuts and grooms near you with love and gentleness.
Cute Cuts offers professional dog grooming, professional wash services, walk-in self-washing, and walk-in nail trims in Hillsboro.
Your dog, cat, or other pet will get the entire pet spa and style treatment including brushing and nail trimming the fur until he or she appears like the best in the show if you visit Bratdogz Pet Spa in Oregon City.
Safe & Hound Doggy Daycare in West Linn provides daycare, bathing, grooming, sanitary clip or single area trims, de-shedding brush outs, tooth cleaning, nail trims, and anal gland expressions.
Full-service pet grooming for both dogs and cats including nail trims, external gland expressions, dog washes and de-shedding treatments, and haircuts all go down at A Cut Above in Milwaukie.
Paws For Elegance in Sherwood offers professional pet grooming and self-service dog washing in addition to pet sitting and dog walking.
These pet cafes are good places for your dog or cat to make some new friends:
- Purrington’s Cat Lounge at 3529 NE MLK Jr Blvd
- Tin Shed Garden Café at 1438 NE Alberta St
Purrington’s Cat Lounge is a cat cafe and not for all pets. The Tin Shed Garden Café is a dog-friendly location.
Hotels That Allow Pets
For a hotel that allows pets in your area stay at:
- Kimpton Hotel Vintage at 422 SW Broadway
- McMenamins Crystal Hotel at 303 SW 12th Ave
- Sentinel Hotel at 614 SW 11th Ave
- The Hotel Zags Portland at 515 SW Clay St
- Dossier Hotel at 750 SW Alder St
- Staybridge Suites at 6225 NE Casper Ct, Hillsboro
- Hilton Garden Inn at 14850 Kruse Oaks Dr, Lake Oswego
- Milwaukie Inn at 14015 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Milwaukie
- Hampton Inn at 22000 SW Meinecke Pkwy, Sherwood
Pet Boarding In Portland
These Portland pet boarding services are where to go when you need to take a trip:
- Safe Journey Dog Boarding at 3525 SE Milwaukee Ave
- BarkZone at 8805 SE Stark
- Townhouse Pet Care at 2965 NE Sandy Blvd
- Stay Pet Hotel at 3606 NE Columbia Blvd
- Sniff Dog Hotel at 1828 NW Raleigh St
- Howliday Inn Doggie Hotel at 5001 NE 82nd Ave
- A Dog Gone Good Place at 8285 NE Evergreen Pkwy #101, Hillsboro
- A Dog’s Hide-A-Way at 3700 NE 15th Ave, Hillsboro
- Just Like Home Dog Boarding at S Henrici Rd, Oregon City
- The Howl House at 308 Jefferson St, Oregon City
- Dogtopia at 16130 Boones Ferry Rd, Lake Oswego
- Pawz Play N Stay at 16031 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Milwaukie
- Camp Bow Wow at 21655 SW Pacific Hwy #110, Sherwood
Cage-free dog overnight boarding and dog day care are available at Safe Journey Dog Boarding.
Dog daycare, boarding, grooming, dog walking, self-service wash, and courier service are all available at BarkZone.
Townhouse Pet Care provides full grooming, daycare, and boarding services for dogs in your area.
Innovative services and facilities like hotel-style boarding, daycare, grooming in their salon and spa, massage, training, and a self-service dog wash can all be found at Sniff Dog Hotel.
Every canine visitor has their own 25-square-foot private apartment with plenty of room for their own bedding and/or box when they stay at Howliday Inn Doggie Hotel.
A Dog Gone Good Place in Hillsboro is the largest indoor and outdoor canine facility in the PDX area offering dog boarding, play areas, training, and grooming as well as the ability to accommodate a number of dogs and provide them with plenty of exercise and enjoyment.
A Dog’s Hide-A-Way offers kennel-free dog boarding and daycare on five completely gated acres of forested areas, creeks, trees, and open fields.
Just Like Home Dog Boarding in Oregon City is a good option no-kennel dog boarding and doggie daycare which includes feeding, medication, group socialization, playing, and other services.
Specialized in-home boarding for up to three small dogs at a time is available with The Howl House.
Dogtopia in Lake Oswego is a great location for dog daycare, boarding, and spa services and they will insure that your four-legged family members are secure and have a good time while at their contemporary open-play facility.
Pawz Play N Stay provides indoor and outdoor pet daycare and boarding in Milwaukie.
Best Veterinarians Near You
If unfortunate medical problems arise go to one of the best veterinarians in PDX and get the best care:
- Vista Pet Hospital at 8855 SW Canyon Ln
- Northwest Neighborhood Veterinary Hospital at 2680 NW Thurman St
- Rose City Veterinary Hospital at 809 SE Powell Blvd
- Portland Animal Clinic at 1755 SW Madison St
- Hannah Pet Hospital at 10526 SE Washington St
- Buckman Veterinary Clinic at 720 SE 11th Ave
- Companion Animal Hospital at 110 NE 25th Ave, Hillsboro
- Oswego Veterinary Hospital at 590 3rd St, Lake Oswego
- Cascade Summit Animal Hospital at 22320 Salamo Rd, West Linn
- Linwood Animal Clinic at 6135 SE King Rd, Milwaukie
- Sherwood Family Pet Clinic at 20900 SW Olds Pl, Sherwood
Northwest Neighborhood Veterinary Hospital accepts reptiles and exotic animals in your area and offers microchipping.
Rose City Veterinary Hospital provides emergency care, flea and parasite prevention, pet boarding, and pet massage.
Pet grooming, boarding, and house calls are also available at Portland Animal Clinic.
Hannah Pet Hospital is a good place to get affordable all-inclusive veterinarian care, pet training, regular and preventative care, 24/7 accident and emergency treatment in PDX, surgery, dental care, and diagnostics.
Anyone that is searching for a local veterinary clinic that specializes in detailed individualized medical care for canine and feline residents should consider Buckman Veterinary Clinic.
Companion Animal Hospital in Hillsboro offers your pet the latest contemporary medical and surgical procedures including equipment, practice methods, and management and they accept animals of all varieties.
Oswego Veterinary Hospital is a group of committed, talented, and caring animal lovers that provide some of the best preventative and therapeutic treatment for your pet as well as boarding suites, a grooming spa, and beautiful gardens.
Cascade Summit is a full-service animal hospital in West Linn where you can get medical, dental, diagnostic, surgical, and holistic care for your family pet.
Linwood Animal Clinic in Milwaukie features cutting-edge facilities, new treatment choices, laser therapy for pain management, comprehensive diagnostic testing, life-saving critical care, and grooming.
Routine examinations, vaccines, and continuing care as well as the best in urgent treatment or emergency surgery is what you can expect to get at Sherwood Family Pet Clinic.
Pet Cremation & Euthanization
When the sad day comes you can get your dog, cat, or other pet cremated at:
- Compassionate Care at 808 Molalla Ave
- Family Animal Services at 17819 NE Riverside Pkwy
- West Coast Pet Memorial Services at 4835 NE Pacific St
- Loving Hands In Home Pet Euthanasia
Compassionate Care is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for in-home pet euthanasia and pet cremation services.
Family Animal Services offers numerous alternatives for memorializing your cherished pet together with cremation for animals of all shapes and sizes and they can even do home pick-up service for your convenience.
West Coast Pet Memorial Services provides pet aftercare services with decency and respect from cremation options and private viewings to one-of-a-kind memorial products.
Loving Hands In Home Pet Euthanasia provides pet euthanasia in the comfort of your own home as well.
Pet euthanasia and individual or communal cremations are also available through the Oregon Humane Society. You can read more about obtaining a pet license in Oregon at that link.
Here are some links for lost pets, found pets, and current adoptable animals in your area. You may also want to learn about what is available in these nearby cities:
Have Fun With Your Pets In Portland
After hearing about all of those pet stores, animal shelters, adoption centers, dog parks, puppy trainers, bakeries, groomers, cafes, hotels that allow pets, places to board your dogs or cats, and even veterinarians or cremation services in your area you should be ready to make your next move.
We and our readers would really appreciate it if you could let us know if you noticed anything incorrect, or if you could share your own local pet tricks and tips. Hopefully you have a great time visiting any Portland pet stores, shelters, dog parks, or whatever places you learned about on this page.