We are about to share everything we know about pets in New York City in full detail can’t think of a better place to begin than listing the best pet stores near you even if we are trying to cover it all.
They are probably why the majority of you ended up on our site and they should be able to help you buy puppies, kittens, toys, food, and all the supplies you could ever need. Once they are out of the way it will be time to learn about the best animal shelters for people who would prefer to adopt a dog, cat, or other animal.
The following three sections are for dog lovers as they will get into dog parks, puppy trainers, and dog bakeries in your area. Then we will pivot to New York City pet grooming spas and dog or cat cafes in town.
Pet friendly hotels and overnight boarding facilities will be up next for anyone who travels often. Veterinarians and pet cremation services are not the happiest of subjects but at some point we all will probably need them, and we would recommend that you stick around for our local NYC pet business map at the conclusion.
By the way, anyone who is interested is welcome to look through more of our posts on cities around the Northeast at that link.
Best Pet Stores In New York City
The best pet stores in New York City to buy a new puppy or kitten or just get some new toys, food, treats, or supplies would be:
- Zoomies at 434 Hudson St, Manhattan
- Happy Feet Pet Shop at 754 10th Ave #1, Manhattan
- Love Thy Beast at 300 E 5th St, Manhattan
- Vinny’s Pet Shop at 451 Bay Ridge Ave, Brooklyn
- Pets On the Run at 989 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn
- Cross Bronx Pet Shop at 2064 Cross Bronx Service Rd N, Bronx
- Zoo-Rama Pets at 2566 E Tremont Ave, Bronx
- Dawgs Life Pet Market & Lounge at 69 Bruckner Blvd, Bronx
- Wagging Tails at 10522 Metropolitan Ave, Queens
- Wespaw Pets at 44-05 Queens Blvd, Queens
- Modern Pet at 212-77 26th Ave, Queens
- BYOP Grooming & Pet Supplies at 477 N Burgher Ave, Staten Island
- To The Rescue Pet Shoppe at 587 Midland Ave, Staten Island
- Pet Island at 10-50 Jackson Ave, Long Island City
Expect to find all kinds of pet foods, treats, collars, leashes, toys, carriers, and other supplies at any of those local pet stores.
Zoomies has a stylish range of dog beds, clothes, and accessories in addition to seasonal collections. They even have a bakery for pets along with all the toys, treats, and presents for dogs and pet owners that you could ever want.
Love Thy Beast designs and manufactures accessories for pets and owners.
Vinny’s Pet Shop sells natural pet foods, toys, grooming accessories, and other items.
A fine assortment of dog and cat food as well as gourmet treats are available at Pets On.
Pet supplies and apparel along with grooming and veterinary services are among the services offered by Cross Bronx Pet Shop.
You can buy lovely vaccinated puppies with complete medical records, physical examinations, and complimentary fecal analysis at Zoo Rama Pets.
Wagging Tails provides a wide selection of high-quality food for animals ranging from commercial to premium.
Wespaw specializes in high quality holistic pet foods that are packed with nutrients and even has wellness programs. Apart from pet supplies they also have grooming services near you for all breeds of dogs and have an attentive pet daycare however they do not sell dogs, cats, fish, or turtles but they do sell a limited number of birds.
Luxury diets and raw food options for dogs and cats as well as attractive apparel and high quality toys are offered at Modern Pet.
BYOP Grooming and Pet Products carries a wide range of pet supplies including food, treats, and toys while also providing a bath and brush service in addition to complete grooming.
Animal Shelters & Adoption
These local animal shelters should have plenty of cute dogs and pets for adoption in your area:
- Bideawee at 410 E 38th St, Manhattan
- ASPCA Adoption Center at 424 E 92nd St, Manhattan
- Muddy Paws Rescue at 821 9th Ave Frnt 1, Manhattan
- City Critters at 1107 Broadway, Manhattan
- Sean Casey Animal Rescue at 153 East 3rd St, Brooklyn
- BARC Shelter at 86 N 1st St, Brooklyn
- AMA Animal Rescue at 2815 Cropsey Ave, Brooklyn
- Animal Care Centers of NYC at 3139 Veterans Rd W, Staten Island
- Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue at 2795 Richmond Ave, Staten Island
- Mt Vernon Animal Shelter at 600 Garden Ave, Mount Vernon
Adoption, fostering, and pet therapy programs are all available through Bideawee who also provides compassionate end-of-life services for pet owners at its two memorial parks.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) was the first animal welfare organization in North America and it is now one of the world’s largest with adoption as its main specialty.
Muddy Paws Rescue helps a vibrant community of dog loving individuals that are committed to stopping senseless euthanasia through collaborative education and learning, direct lifesaving, and ongoing innovation.
City Critters rescues and rehomes stray and abandoned cats while advocating for neuter programs and collaborating with community members to discover compassionate solutions to homeless animal problems.
Foster care, a critical care fund, and, of course, pet adoption are just a few of Sean Casey Animal Rescue’s activities.
BARC Shelter has a safe sanctuary for abandoned animals with high quality food and medical care and even works to place them in permanent loving homes.
Pet adoption, foster care, and volunteer opportunities are some of the services offered at AMA Animal Rescue.
Adoption, lost and found pets, fostering, surrendering a pet, and end-of-life services are all available at Animal Care Centers of NYC.
Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue is a non profit organization dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of abused, crippled, and abandoned animals.
You know your furry friend would love nothing more than to run around one of these dog parks:
- Tompkins Square Park in Manhattan
- Sirius Dog Run in Manhattan
- Madison Square Park in Manhattan
- Morningside Park Dog Run in Manhattan
- Leroy Street Dog Park in Manhattan
- Hillside Dog Park in Brooklyn
- Prospect Park Dog Run in Brooklyn
- Herbert Von King Park Dog Run in Brooklyn
- McCarren Park Dog Run in Brooklyn
- Cooper Park Dog Run in Brooklyn
- Owl’s Head Park Dog Run in Brooklyn
- Canine Court at Van Cortlandt Park in The Bronx
- Pelham Bay Park Dog Run in The Bronx
- St. Mary’s Dog Run in The Bronx
- Soundview Park Dog Run in The Bronx
- Franz Sigel Dog Run in The Bronx
- Rockaway Freeway Dog Park in Queens
- Little Bay Dog Run in Queens
- Forest Park Barking Lot in Queens
- Silver Lake Park Dog Run in Staten Island
- Wolfe’s Pond Park Dog Run in Staten Island
- Bloomingdale Dog Run in Staten Island
- Von Briesen Park in Staten Island
- Ida Court Playground in Staten Island
- Hunter’s Point South Dog Run in Long Island City
- Murray Playground Dog Run in Long Island City
These puppy trainers near you will have them following orders in no time:
- Instinct Dog Behavior & Training at 181 E 111th St, Manhattan
- Andrea Arden Dog Training at 32 W 25th St, Manhattan
- School For The Dogs at 92 E 7th St, Manhattan
- Empire of the Dog at 415 Grand St # 1, Manhattan
- Dogboy NYC at 362 Furman St, Brooklyn
- Brooklyn Pup Dog Training at 239 DeKalb Ave, Brooklyn
- Calm Energy Dog Training at 149 Plymouth St, Brooklyn
- Fieldston Pets Bash Dibra at 3476 Bailey Ave, Bronx
- Fraternity K9 at 221-19 112th Ave, Queens
- RawK9Food at 71-50 Austin St, Queens
- Staten Island Companion Dog at 75 Ellis St, Staten Island
- Ryan For Dogs at 1311 Jackson Ave #5D, Long Island City
Instinct Dog Behavior & Training has a board and train camp and puppy camp in your area.
Personalized lessons, group classes, play groups, and supportive services that are uniquely designed are what you can get from Andrea Arden Dog Training.
School For The Dogs offers both one-on-one and group dog training courses.
Small dog specialist programs, private lessons, group programs, pre-puppy counseling, and clicker training are all available at Empire of the Dog.
Dogboy has a number of options including private and online instruction, puppy training, behavior consultations, and group classes.
Positive reinforcement training and free adoptions are what Brooklyn Pup Dog Training does best.
Calm Energy which is based in Brooklyn does zoom sessions and private puppy training.
Consultations for training, kibble and cans classes, and dog walking services are offered at RawK9Food in Queens.
Ryan For Dogs provides walking services as well as training and boarding.
House Pet Grooming and Trainer, PuppyLoft, DOGMA, and Harlem Animal Hospital from different lists also have puppy training in your area.
On a special occasion give them a great treat from one of these dog bakeries:
- Pupster Bakery at 32 Jones St, Manhattan
- District Dog at 144 Driggs Ave, Brooklyn
- Little L’s Pet Bakery & Boutique at 311 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn
- Fat Puppies Café at 47-10 39th Pl, Queens
- Bing’s Barkin’ Bakery at 0 Ionia Ave, Staten Island
Pupster Bakery makes some of the best dog and cat treats in NYC that are free of preservatives, chemicals, salt, artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, and genetically modified products.
District Dog sells organic and natural cat and dog food and treats plus unique birthday cakes and other bakery items.
You can get all natural, organic, handcrafted, and customized birthday cakes and pupcakes for your furry companions at Little L’s.
Some of the tastiest local dog treats are available at Fat Puppies Café.
Birthday celebrations for dogs are hosted at Bing’s Barkin’ Bakery who also has a fine selection of delectable personalized birthday cakes, gourmet treats, bones, cupcakes, dog clothes, and toys.
Remember that in the best pet stores near you section we mentioned that Zoomie’s has a pet bakery too.
New York City Pet Grooming
To help your dog or cat look better than ever bring them to one of these NYC pet groomers:
- Towne House Grooming & Pet Supplies at 288 8th Ave, Manhattan
- Le Pet Spa at 300 Rector Pl, Manhattan
- A Cut Above Pet Stylists at 143 W 69th St, Manhattan
- Doggie Styles Pet Grooming at 229 Grand St, Brooklyn
- Tiny Tails Grooming at 7408 20th Ave, Brooklyn
- Bark Slope Salon at 169 Lincoln Pl, Brooklyn
- Zen Animals at 233 Malcolm X Blvd, Brooklyn
- House Pet Grooming and Trainer at 1233 Boston Rd, Bronx
- KingSpa NYC at 2244 Creston Ave, Bronx
- Tracey’s Pet Styling at 2957 Middletown Rd, Bronx
- Dalila’s Pet Grooming at 90-12 37th Ave, Queens
- Adonis Pet Grooming at 40-63 Junction Blvd, Queens
- Lap of Luxury Pet Grooming at 187-52 Jamaica Ave, Queens
- Bow-wow Wow Pet Groomers at 3812 Victory Blvd, Staten Island
- Bloomingtails Grooming at 4180 Victory Blvd, Staten Island
For almost 40 years Towne House has been doing skilled grooming in Manhattan for all breeds, all patterns, and cats in Chelsea while also selling some supplies.
In 2018 and 2019 Doggie Styles Pet Grooming was awarded Brooklyn’s Best Groomer and today this full-service salon provides a variety of treatments for your canine companions.
Zen Animals is a cage free salon with community play areas and individual playpens to give respite for dogs before and throughout the grooming process. They are based in Brooklyn and also offer daycare, boarding, and training for your convenience and to prevent grooming anxiety.
Pet grooming, boarding, and training in your area are all available at House Pet Grooming and Trainer.
Some of the services offered at Tracey’s Pet Styling in The Bronx include washing, haircutting, facials, teeth brushing, flea bathing, nail grinding, and polishing.
Dalila’s Pet Grooming in Queens specializes in dog grooming, nail treatment, luxury baths, ear cleaning, and all other pet grooming requirements.
Bow-wow Wow Pet Groomers provides comprehensive grooming and spa services for cats and dogs near you.
Pet grooming and dog day care are available at Bloomingtails.
You can also get quality local grooming from Wagging Tails, Cross Bronx Pet Shop, BYOP Grooming, Chateau le Woof, PuppyLoft, DOGMA, Paws In Chelsea, Pupculture, Bronx Barx, Dog Island City, and Harlem Animal Hospital from some of the other sections.
These pet cafes in your area are good places for your dog or cat to make some new friends:
- Boris & Horton at 195 Ave A, Manhattan
- Koneko at 26 Clinton St, Manhattan
- Meow Parlour at 46 Hester St, Manhattan
- Brooklyn Cat Café at 76 Montague St, Brooklyn
- Chateau Le Woof at 31-01 Vernon Blvd, Long Island City
Boris & Horton is a dog café that serves excellent coffee and cuisine and hosts a variety of dog-friendly activities including trivia, burlesque shows, and adoption events. Boris & Horton has an all-vegetarian cuisine that includes gluten-free and vegan alternatives like avocados and slow-roasted tomatoes toast as well as grilled cheese and pastries from Balthazaar, Ovenly, and Murray’s Cheese to name a few.
Koneko is a cat café and all of the cats are all adoptable after being rescued from the Animal Care & Control’s at-risk list.
Meow Parlour is also a cat only cafe in Manhattan where they are all adoptable plus they sell cat food and supplies.
The Brooklyn Cat Café is a cat adoption facility and social place.
Chateau le Woof is a dog café in Long Island City that also provides grooming services on site.
Hotels That Allow Pets
For a hotel that allows pets in NYC stay at:
- The Benjamin Hotel at 125 E 50th St, Manhattan
- Kimpton Muse Hotel at 130 West 46th St, Manhattan
- Loews Regency Hotel at 540 Park Ave & 61st St, Manhattan
- Four Seasons Hotel Downtown at 27 Barclay St, Manhattan
- Fairfield Inn & Suites at 330 W 40th St, Manhattan
- Wyndham Garden Sunset Park at 457 39th St, Brooklyn
- Pod Brooklyn Hotel at 247 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn
- Wingate at 2568 Park Ave, Bronx
- Feather Factory Hotel at 26-32 Skillman Ave, Queens
- Ravel Hotel at 8-08 Queens Plaza S, Long Island City
Pet Boarding In NYC
These local pet boarding services are where to go when you need to take a trip:
- Puppy Loft at 237 W 26th St, Manhattan
- DOGMA at 21 7th Ave S, Manhattan
- Hotel Bark Ave at 143 E 103rd St, Manhattan
- Paws In Chelsea at 145 W 24th St #1, Manhattan
- Pupculture at 521 Broome St, Manhattan
- Woofs ‘n Whiskers at 14 Coles St, Brooklyn
- Animal Loving Care at 556 Court St, Brooklyn
- Your Spoiled Pets at 124 Meserole Ave, Brooklyn
- Bronx Barx at 111 Bruckner Blvd, Bronx
- Pumkin Paws Pet Service at 5752 Fieldston Rd, Bronx
- Dog Island City at 42-60 23rd St, Queens
- Wet Noses Pet Sitter at 92nd Astoria Blvd, Queens
- Happy Dogs Long Island City at 5-04 50th Ave, Long Island City
- Country Estate Kennels at 4838 Arthur Kill Rd, Staten Island
Dog day care, walking, boarding, training, and grooming are all available at PuppyLoft.
DOGMA provides dog daycare, grooming, overnight boarding, walking, and puppy training among other services.
Dog daycare and boarding take place at Hotel Bark Ave.
Paws In Chelsea is a cage-free pet motel in NYC that accepts both cats and dogs for boarding while also offering dog daycare, pet transportation, grooming, and walking services.
You can choose from an assortment of high quality pet accessories, treats, and health items at Pupculture where daycare, boarding, grooming, home pet feeding, and spa services are also possible.
Whether you’re looking for dog or cat boarding or daycare along with a stress relieving regimen of rest and activity Woofs ‘n Whiskers has it all.
Bronx Barx is a personalized dog club providing daycare, boarding, grooming, and training.
Full service grooming, pet sitting, day care, walking, and boarding for all breeds and sizes are offered at Dog Island City who features a cage free, friendly, and caring environment for all animals.
Some other places that we have mentioned in different lists that have overnight boarding for animals in New York City would be House Pet Grooming, Ryan For Dogs, Zen Animals, and Harlem Animal Hospital.
Best Veterinarians Near You
Get your animals the quality medical attention they deserve from one of the best veterinarians in your area:
- Westside Veterinary Center at 220 W 83rd St, Manhattan
- The Village Veterinarian at 318 E 11th St, Manhattan
- Harlem Animal Hospital at 193 Lenox Ave, Manhattan
- Uptown Veterinary Associates at 295 W 112th St, Manhattan
- Hudson Animal Hospital at 238 W 61st St, Manhattan
- Bond Vet at 217 Court St, Brooklyn
- Brooklyn Roots Veterinary Hospital at 319 3rd Ave, Brooklyn
- Greenwood Veterinary Care at 708 5th Ave, Brooklyn
- Value Veterinary Clinic at 2074 Cross Bronx Expy, Bronx
- Tri-Boro Animal Hospital at 3004 Lurting Ave, Bronx
- Queens Midway Animal Hospital at 7746 164th St, Queens
- Steinway Court Veterinarian at 3241 Steinway St, Queens
- Richmond Valley Veterinary Practice at 4915 Arthur Kill Rd, Staten Island
- Northside Animal Hospital at 773 Post Ave, Staten Island
- Eltingville Veterinary Practice at 4353 Hylan Blvd, Staten Island
- Long Island City Veterinary Center at 48-18 Vernon Blvd, Long Island City
All of the above should be able to provide standard veterinary care for animals like microchipping, vaccines, flea and tick prevention, parasite control, cremations, euthanasia, other end of life care, and basic surgical or medical procedures.
Anyone that needs 24 hour urgent care for sick or injured animals in NYC can contact Veterinary Emergency Group at 212-223-3500.
Westside Veterinarian Center does a complete variety of routine veterinary treatments, senior pet care, dentistry and a variety of other procedures for all types of pets, even exotic animals.
The Village Veterinarian offers local emergency treatment, end-of-life care, microchipping, and more.
Pet emergencies and urgent care, pet identification, behavioral training, compassionate euthanasia, and boarding and grooming can be found at Harlem Animal Hospital.
Hudson Animal Hospital in Manhattan is fully equipped to meet all medical and surgical needs from routine preventative care to advanced diagnostic and surgical procedures.
Brooklyn Roots Veterinary Hospital is happy to do emergency and walk in care, oxygen therapy, a comprehensive in house laboratory, soft tissue and orthopedic surgery, ICU, and anesthesia patient monitoring.
All routine procedures including well and sick examinations, behavioral counseling, immunizations, blood tests, urine testing, and diabetic management are provided at Greenwood Veterinary Care in Brooklyn.
Standard preventative care such as immunizations, heartworm, flea, and tick prevention, dentistry, radiography, in house laboratory diagnostic testing, and low cost neutering are done at Value Veterinary Clinic in The Bronx.
A wide range of treatments including vaccinations, internal medicine, surgeries, dental care, and diagnostic services are available at Steinway Court in Queens.
Northside Animal Hospital in Staten Island is a full service hospital specializing in veterinary care for dogs, cats, birds, fishes, ferrets, rabbits, reptiles, iguanas, rats, turtles, and all exotic pets.
You can have your pets groomed at Long Island City Veterinary Center where surgery, dental, comprehensive diagnostic, and wellness care are also provided.
Pet Cremation & Euthanization
When the sad day comes you can get your dog, cat, or other pet cremated at:
- All City Pet Cremation at 102-09 101st Ave, Queens
- Resting Paws Funeral & Cremation Service at 550 Manor Rd #82, Staten Island
Individual cremation and burial services as well as personalized mementos and keepsakes are available 24 hours a day seven days a week at the All City Pet Cremation in your area.
Private and community cremations are available through Resting Paws Funeral and Cremation Service.
- Newark Local Pet Scene
- Philadelphia Local Pet Scene
- Washington DC Local Pet Scene
- Boston Local Pet Scene
Have Fun With Your Pets In New York City
We tried to cover the scene as well as possible. You just learned about a whole lot of pet stores, animal shelters, adoption centers, dog parks, puppy trainers, bakeries, groomers, cafes, hotels that allow pets, places to board your dogs or cats, and even veterinarian or cremation services near you.
We and our readers would really appreciate it if you could let us know if you noticed anything incorrect, or if you could share your own local pet tricks and tips. Hopefully you have a great time visiting any New York City pet stores, shelters, dog parks, or whatever places you learned about on this page.