Today we want to fill you in on everything we know about pets in Kansas City and will be starting off with a list of the best pet stores in your area. Puppies, kittens, toys, food, and supplies can all be purchased at them making them a one-stop shop for most of your needs and we have covered the full metro area stretching from Overland Park and Olathe in the South all the way up to Liberty and North KC.
Once the stores have been discussed in full we will move on to animal shelters for dog and cat adoption followed by dog parks, puppy trainers, and pet bakeries near you. The best pet grooming spas in Kansas City will come next before we pivot to dog or cat cafes around the metro and some pet-friendly hotels too.
Boarding facilities, veterinarians, and animal cremation services will round us out. Make sure to look at the local KC pet map towards the end so you can get a better lay of the land before you decide which store or service provider to visit.
You can read more of our blogs for other Midwestern cities by clicking here.
Best Pet Stores In Kansas City
The best Kansas City pet stores are where to go if you want to buy a new puppy, kitten, toys, food, or any kind of supplies:
- Tail Waggin’ PetStop at 1818 Wyandotte St
- Pet-Topia at 3528 NE Vivion Rd
- Miles of Exotics at 1780 N Church Rd
- Petco at 600 NE Vivion Rd
- PetSmart at 8600 Ward Pkwy
- Pet Supplies Plus at 305 NE Englewood Rd
- Land of Paws South at 6772 W 135th St, Overland Park
- PetSmart at 11501 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park
- Live Art Aquatics at 3625 S Noland Rd, Independence
- Olathe Pet Shop at 16651 W 151st St #5641, Olathe
- Four Paws Pantry & Spa at 14040 W 119th St, Olathe
- LifeTime Pet at 1030 E Santa Fe St, Olathe
- PetSmart at 920 NE Sam Walton Ln, Lee’s Summit
- Petland at 1803 MO-7, Blue Springs
Cat and dog food, treats, toys, and accessories are available at Tail Waggin’ PetStop.
Pet-Topia has everything you need for your pet from aquatics to exotics.
Small animals, birds, feeder rodents and crickets, reptiles, amphibians, freshwater fish, supplies, and more are available at Miles of Exotics.
Petco sells all kinds of pet food and products such as toys, beds, clothing, and much more. They also offer pet grooming, training, and vaccination clinics, as well as adoptions, and on orders of $35 or more, Petco provides free delivery.
PetSmart has a wide selection of pets, supplies, and food. Grooming, boarding, and other services are also available.
Natural and American-made pet supplies are available at Pet Supplies Plus. They also offer pet grooming and veterinary services.
Land of Paws South in Overland Park carries some of the most exclusive pet supplies, high-quality toys, healthy treats, delightful pet apparel and boutique items, and natural food for your furry best friends.
PetSmart features a range of pets, supplies, and food while also providing grooming services, pet boarding, dog day camp, dog training, and veterinary care.
Live Art Aquatics is a family owned business specializing in saltwater, freshwater, corals, and also fish tank maintenance and repair in your area.
Olathe Pet Shop sells a wide range of pet food and supplies. There are exotic animals available, like turtles, snakes, and lizards plus they have live aquatic plants and fish to choose from.
Four Paws Pantry & Spa sells cat and dog food, supplies, and accessories while also being a good option for grooming and spa services.
LifeTime Pet provides pet food and supplies in addition to boarding and daycare services.
Petland sells kittens, puppies, and birds as well as a wide range of pet supplies including food, bedding, and grooming products.
Animal Shelters & Adoption
Your local animal shelters could be checked out before you decide to go the buying new route:
- KC Pet Project at 7077 Elmwood Ave
- Wayside Waifs at 3901 Martha Truman Rd
- KC Pet Project at 11620 W 95th St, Overland Park
- Olathe Animal Shelter at 505 E Sunvale Dr, Olathe
- Lee’s Summit Animal Control at 1991 SE Hamblen Rd, Lee’s Summit
Adoption, lost and found pets, pet licensing, ID tags, microchipping, and other services are provided by the KC Pet Project.
Wayside Waifs is a pet adoption and lost-and-found organization. They also provide pet memorial services and give puppy boot camp, obedience training, and personalized training sessions for dogs in addition to the shelter.
The Olathe Animal Shelter caters to pet adoptions and pet licensing in your area.
Lee’s Summit Animal Control responds to calls for service concerning animal abuse, animal bites, pet waste, barking complaints and disposing of deceased animals. Traps are available for nuisance wildlife causing property damage plus they do great work when it comes to animal services like lost and found pets, adoptions, and licensing.
On a sunny day these dog parks near you are where they can have a great time:
- Waggin Trail Dog Park
- Heritage Park
- Wayside Waifs Bark Park
- Shawnee Mission Park
- Penn Valley Park
- Swope Park
- Leawoof Dog Park
- Dogwood Park
To speed up their learning curve sign up for one of these puppy training services:
- All Dogs Unleashed at 435 Nichols Rd
- Beyond the Dog at 121 W 63rd St #207
- KC Dawgz Dog Training Academy at 10750 El Monte St #200, Overland Park
- Canine Solutions DogSchool at 417 N Rawhide #H, Olathe
- Dog Wizard at 3707 US-40, Blue Springs
All Dogs Unleashed provides board and train, personalized training, and group training.
Beyond the Dog also provides training for other pets such as cats, and they offer all-inclusive dog training, as well as a board-and-train program, executive dog/cat/kitten training, private in-home dog training, and other in-home pet training. North Kansas City, Liberty, Parkville, Mission Hills, Fairway, Roeland Park, Lee’s Summit, Lenexa, Leawood, and Overland Park are just a few of the cities that Beyond the Dog serves in the greater KC Metro area.
KC Dawgz Dog Training Academy provides board and train, private training, and group puppy training in Overland Park.
Canine Solutions DogSchool specializes in positive reinforcement dog training, reducing stress, and enriching the human-canine bond with in-home private training, board and train, and group classes.
Dog Wizard offers group classes, day training, private training, and play and train programs.
Throughout this post we have tried to mention all the other places that do local puppy training in addition to their other services of which there are many.
A special treat from one of these dog bakeries will show them how much you care:
- Brookside Barkery at 6201 Oak St
- Three Dog Bakery at 602 W 48th St
- Three Dog Bakery at 7951 W 160th St #520, Overland Park
- Woof Gang Bakery & Grooming at 11212 W 135th St, Overland Park
- Brookside Barkery & Bath at 817 NE Woods Chapel Rd, Lee’s Summit
Brookside Barkery & Bath makes their own fresh baked treats and only sells 100% guaranteed all-natural dog food, organic pet foods, and supplies plus there are full and self-service dog bathing and grooming facilities.
Three Dog Bakery is a good place to buy all-natural and fresh baked dog treats in both KC and Overland Park while healthy cat treats are also available.
Woof Gang Bakery & Grooming sells fresh baked treats, food, and supplies and as the name suggests they also do grooming.
Doggie Style Bowtique who we are mentioning next also sells fresh baked treats for pets in your area.
These KC pet groomers will make sure your dog or cat is looking their best:
- Doggie Style Bowtique at 1713 Westport Rd
- Pampered Paws Grooming Salon Inc. at 7719 Wornall Rd
- Pawsitively Perfect at 7711 W 151st St, Overland Park
- Puppy’s Playpen at 5205 W 95th St, Overland Park
- Pawz at Play at 11200 Mastin St, Overland Park
- The Groom Gallery at 129 S Parker St, Olathe
- Pups-n-Suds at 13511 S Mur-Len Rd #132, Olathe
- Groomingdale’s of Lees Summit at 211 NW Chipman Rd #100, Lee’s Summit
- The Salon – A Grooming Project at 1650 SE Blue Pkwy, Lee’s Summit
- The Ideal Paw at 900 NW Vesper St, Blue Springs
Doggie Style Bowtique is a great pet salon, boarding facility, and doggie daycare center for cats and dogs near you. Additionally, they provide all-natural dog food, organic pet meals, pet supplies, and a pet bakery.
Pampered Paws Grooming Salon provides grooming services for all breeds and sizes of dogs and cats.
Pawsitively Perfect offers professional grooming services for Overland Park pets plus doggie daycare and boarding facilities are available.
Puppy’s Playpen provides dog grooming, boarding, and daycare services while offering natural pet food and selling high quality foods and treats for your dog.
Pawz at Play offers full service grooming and bathing as well as dog daycare and boarding services.
The Groom Gallery is a full service grooming salon catering to both dogs and cats in Olathe.
Pups-n-Suds provides a clean, safe environment for your pet. Their luxury spa treatments include a bath, brush, blow dry, nail trim, ear cleaning, anal glands, scarf, and spritzer.
Groomingdale’s of Lees Summit provides professional pet grooming in a caring and compassionate environment.
Caring and meticulous cat and dog grooming from basic baths and brushes to more skilled techniques like hand-scissoring are available at The Salon-A Grooming Project who works with cats in a separate area to keep a calmer vibe.
The Ideal Paw is an upscale cat and dog grooming salon in Blue Springs with affordable prices that specializes in grooming difficult pets without sedation.
Don’t forget that Brookside Barkery & Bath from the bakeries list also offers full-service and self-service dog grooming and to be honest so many other places in this post do that we can’t list them all.
Pet Cafes In Kansas City
Dog, cat, or pet cafes around town can be a fun place to chill for the both of you:
Whiskers Cat Café is the first cat cafe in Kansas City, but it is not an all pet cafe. Each session, a few walk-in slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Even better, all of the cats are available for adoption.
Bar K Dog Bar is a one-of-a-kind location with a contemporary bar, restaurant, event space, and dog park. Bar K offers a selection of fresh, locally sourced, and reasonably priced meals, including house-made dog chow. Fresh juice and coffee are also available, as well as craft beer, wine, and specialty cocktails.
Hotels That Allow Pets
If you are trying to find a hotel that allows pets you can try:
- Sheraton Suites at the Plaza at 770 W 47th St
- InterContinental at the Plaza at 401 Ward Pkwy
- Sleep Inn Airport at 7611 NW 97th Terrace
- Super 8 Airport at 11900 NW Plaza Cir
- Drury Inn at 10963 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park
- Holiday Inn & Suites at 8787 Reeder St, Overland Park
- La Quinta Inn & Suites at 20570 W 151st St, Olathe
- Comfort Inn & Suites at 3701 NE Ralph Powell Rd, Lee’s Summit
- Hampton Inn at 900 NW S Outer Rd, Blue Springs
Pet Boarding In Kansas City
These Kansas City pet boarding facilities should give them a comfortable stay:
- The Collar Club at 238 W 74th St
- Pete & Mac’s Pet Resorts at 5860 NW Prairie View Rd
- Camp Bow Wow at 104 Westport Rd
- Elkhound Ranch Kennels at 9205 N Brooklyn Ave
- Dogtopia of OP at 6905 W 135th St, Overland Park
- Happy Pawz at 9600 Antioch Rd, Overland Park
- The Pet Ranch at 12700 W 151st St, Olathe
- Camp Bow Wow at 1010 SE Hamblen Rd, Lee’s Summit
- Summit Pet Care at 810 NW Commerce Dr, Lee’s Summit
- Cuddle Up Pup at 2801 MO-7, Blue Springs
Dog daycare, boarding, grooming, and training are all available at The Collar Club.
Pete & Mac’s Pet Resorts provides boarding for cats and dogs, as well as dog daycare, dog training, and grooming.
Dog daycare, boarding, and grooming are all available at Camp Bow Wow in KC and Lee’s Summit.
For nearly 40 years Elkhound Ranch Kennels has provided doggie daycare, boarding, dog and cat grooming, and training services in your area. They are non-breed restricting so large or small breeds are find and they have both indoor and outdoor accommodations.
Dogtopia of Overland Park is a very good option for dog daycare, boarding, and spa services near you.
Happy Pawz offers dog daycare, dog boarding, and grooming or spa treatment.
The Pet Ranch is a luxury ranch-style resort designed to provide your canine and feline companions with a home away from home while you’re away.
Summit Pet Care offers pet boarding, daycare, and grooming services for dogs, cats, and every type of pet.
Cuddle Up Pup is your premier and luxury pet resort that offers all-inclusive boarding, doggie daycare, grooming, a retail shop, and training.
Southside Pet Hospital and Blue Springs Animal Hospital & Pet Resort also offer local boarding services.
Best Veterinarians Near You
They will get the best medical care possible if you take them to one of the best veterinarians in your area:
- Kansas City Veterinary Care at 7240 Wornall Rd
- Crest Animal Hospital at 11516 Hickman Mills Dr
- Union Hill Animal Hospital at 3025 Main St
- Antioch Dog & Cat Hospital at 5200 NE Vivion Rd
- Stanley Veterinary Clinic at 8695 W 151st St, Overland Park
- BluePearl Pet Hospital at 11950 W 110th St, Overland Park
- Independence Animal Hospital at 300 S Noland Rd, Independence
- Southside Pet Hospital at 457 KS-7, Olathe
- Lee’s Summit Animal Hospital at 411 SW Market St, Lee’s Summit
- Blue Springs Animal Hospital & Pet Resort at 1201 US-40, Blue Springs
Veterinary care for cats and dogs, as well as a variety of exotic animals such as birds, reptiles, ferrets, and rabbits, is provided by Kansas City Veterinary Care, which is conveniently located in Waldo. They provide parasite control, dental health, and boarding.
Crest Animal Hospital provides health care for dogs and cats, as well as animal medicine, pet surgery, and boarding services.
Daytime emergency services, KCMO pet licenses, dental care, and hospice care/euthanasia are all available at Union Hill Animal Hospital.
Antioch provides a wide range of pet treatments, including emergency care and routine medical, dental, and surgical care.
Stanley Veterinary Clinic is a good option for dental care, grooming services, and senior wellness.
BluePearl Pet Hospital is open 24 hours for veterinary emergencies in Overland Park and if your situation is urgent call them at 913-642-9563.
Southside Pet Hospital offers local veterinary care to cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, hedgehogs, rodents and other exotic pets. Some of their veterinary offerings include dentistry, parasite control, behavioral medicine, boarding, grooming, cremation, and euthanasia.
Lee’s Summit Animal Hospital does dentistry, parasite control, euthanasia, cremation, and burial services. They can also do farm calls for horses and livestock animals in Lee’s Summit and the surrounding area.
Blue Springs Animal Hospital & Pet Resort is a full-service veterinary clinic and resort boarding kennel in your area that is happy to assist with dental care, cancer treatment, parasite control, and more. You will also find a pet resort that offers bathing services, pet boarding, and doggie daycare.
Pet Cremation & Euthanization
Rolling Acres Memorial Gardens at 12200 NW Crooked Road is a full-service pet cemetery, crematory, and funeral home for dogs and cats. They offer burial and cremation services including private, communal, and horse cremation as well as memorial and funeral services, caskets, urns, mementos including headstones and plaques, and cremation jewelry.
Southside Pet Hospital also provides pet cremations and euthanasia services.
Check out some of our other posts on:
- St Louis Pet Stores, Animal Shelters, & Groomers
- Omaha Pet Stores, Animal Shelters, & Groomers
- Wichita Pet Stores, Animal Shelters, & Groomers
- OKC Pet Stores, Animal Shelters, & Groomers
Have Fun With Your Pets In Kansas City
After thinking about all of those pet stores, animal shelters, adoption centers, dog parks, puppy trainers, bakeries, groomers, cafes, hotels that allow pets, places to board your dogs or cats, and even veterinarian or cremation services near you we hope you have a better understanding of the scene.
We are sure that our future readers would love it if you could let us know if you noticed anything incorrect, or if you could share your own local pet tricks and tips. Hopefully you have a great time visiting any Kansas City pet stores, shelters, dog parks, or whatever places you learned about on this page.