Thanks for checking out this discussion on pets in Raleigh. Our goal is to cover the topic in full detail so you can find everything you need right here on one page.
Even if we are trying to cover it all we still can’t think of a better way to begin than by listing the best Raleigh pet stores. It shouldn’t matter whether you want to buy puppies, kittens, toys, food, or other supplies they should be able to help you out.
Then we will get into the top animal shelters near you for those who would prefer to adopt a dog, cat, or other pet instead of buying a new one. Local dog lovers will really enjoy our next three sections which are about dog parks, puppy trainers, and dog bakeries in your area.
Up next you will read about pet grooming salons and dog or cat cafes around town. Frequent travelers will get the most out of the next sections which discuss local hotels that allow pets and also boarding facilities.
Our final subjects will be a little bit doom and gloom like veterinarians and pet cremation services. To get a better lay of the land stick around for our map at the end, plus the curious types can look through our other Southeastern local pet guides at that link if interested.
Best Pet Stores In Raleigh
It doesn’t matter if you are trying to add a member to your family or just need some new toys, food, or supplies the best pet stores in Raleigh would be:
- Phydeaux at 2535 Atlantic Ave
- Pet Mania at 7901 Falls of Neuse Rd
- Pet Supplies Plus at 3074 Wake Forest Rd
- Unleashed, the Dog & Cat Store at 2460 Wycliff Rd
- PetPeople at 2920 Sherman Oak Pl
- Petsense at 3011 Leland Dr
- Pet Supermarket at 6325-51 Falls of Neuse Rd
- The Birdie Boutique at 3039 University Dr, Durham
- Barnes Supply at 774 9th St, Durham
- Hollywood Feed at 575 New Waverly Pl #103-A, Cary
- Val’s Pet Depot at 2448 SW Cary Pkwy, Cary
- The Pup Tailor at 112 Hickory Glen Ln, Holly Springs
- The Pet Pantry at 2521 Schieffelin Rd #132, Apex
There are over 30,000 products for dogs, cats, birds, and other small animals available at Phydeaux who has a few pet stores in your area with one each in Raleigh, Cary, and Chapel Hill. Phydeaux also works in tandem with Love Mutts Rescue to help adoptable pets find a new home.
Pet Mania has a wide variety of healthy pet foods for dogs, cats and other animals near you including brands like Nature’s Logic, Fromm, Nutrisource, Pure Vita and more. They have four stores in North Carolina and will do local delivery in Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary, and Holly Springs.
Pet Supplies Plus is a nice store without the fuss that provides everything you need for all of your pets plus they engage in local adoption events, have live animals in store, and offer a self-service dog wash.
Unleashed, the Dog & Cat Store is a locally owned and operated store with the mission of providing the best supplies for dogs and cats at affordable prices. They are also dedicated to assisting rescues, help with numerous adoption events and fundraisers, and offer self-service dog washing and nutritional consultations.
A wide range of natural, organic, and minimally processed dog and cat foods, raw frozen foods, freeze-dried treats and snacks, toys, collars, and dog beds and blankets can be found at PetPeople.
Expect to find a wide range of reasonably priced natural pet meals and supplies at Petsense where professional grooming and puppy training are also available.
Pet Supermarket specializes in food, toys, snacks, accessories, fashion, and more while also offering grooming, self-serves dog wash stations, and VIP pet care clinics.
The Birdie Boutique is a pet bird supplier in Durham offering excellent products hand-picked by board certified avian veterinarians including hundreds of bird care items.
Barnes Supply sells grain, livestock and poultry feeds, seeds, and hardware in addition to dog and cat food, treats, and supplies.
Hollywood Feed is a natural and holistic pet specialty retail store that offers top quality dog and cat foods, USA-made treats, toys, beds, and other items plus they can help with flea and tick care, grooming, health and wellness, and more.
For a full-service pet store in Cary that is a good place to buy natural pet food, toys, treats, vitamins and supplements you can head to Val’s Pet Depot which also does natural pet grooming, has self-washing stations, and does animal training too.
The Pup Tailor caters to dog owners in Holly Springs that appreciate a well-dressed pet by providing custom fit jackets for your canines and cats, cozy cuddle fleece, festive designs, rain coats, and preferred team colors.
In Apex you will find the Pet Pantry whose mission is to help pet owners in the Triangle and Triad by offering free home delivery of innovative nutritious pet food and supplies that include no by-products or chemicals of any type and only pure holistic ingredients to keep your special friend healthy and happy.
Animal Shelters & Adoption
If you would rather adopt a pet then buy a new one head to one of these local animal shelters:
- SPCA of Wake County at 200 Petfinder Ln
- Safe Haven For Cats at 8431 Garvey Dr #137
- Cat Angels Pet Adoptions at 959 N Harrison Ave
- Second Chance Pet Adoptions at 6003 Chapel Hill Rd #133
- Wake County Animal Center at 820 Beacon Lake Dr
- Purr Partners Feline Rescue at 2800 E Millbrook Rd
- Animal Protection Society at 2117 E Club Blvd, Durham
- Cat Angels Pet Adoptions at 959 N Harrison Ave, Cary
- Pawfect Match at 171 Holly Springs Rd, Holly Springs
The SPCA of Wake County is a great place to adopt dogs, cats, or potentially even other pets. You can also contact them to see if they can offer any assistance if you find yourself in a situation involving a lost or found dog, cat, or other pet.
Second Chance Pet Adoptions is a non-profit no-kill rescue organization that has rescued stray or abandoned cats and dogs that are then put up for adoption.
Wake County Animal Center is an open admission shelter in the county that accepts all stray, abandoned, and surrendered pets and they re-home thousands of animals each year.
If you are looking for a no-kill foster-based and volunteer led organization that is committed to rescuing the lives of cats and kittens in your area to help them find loving permanent homes through adoption and placement contact Purr Partners Feline Rescue.
The Animal Protection Society in Durham is a non-profit organization and animal shelter that offers medical care and is available to the public for adoptions and animal visits.
Cat Angels Pet Adoptions in Cary is a no-kill cat and kitten rescue and adoption organization that helps homeless, abandoned, and/or mistreated cats and kittens find secure, loving, and permanent homes while also reducing kill shelter populations.
In Holly Springs you will find Pawfect Match which is a non-profit all breed dog and puppy rescue organization with a network of passionate volunteers who offer their homes and hearts to unwanted adoptable animals in North Carolina’s rural high kill shelters.
There is not much that will make them happier than spending some time at one of these dog parks near you:
- Carolina Pines Community Dog Park
- Oakwood Dog Park
- Millbrook Exchange Dog Park
- Ashley Wilder Dog Park
- Piney Wood Dog Park
- Flaherty Dog Park
- Buffaloe Road Dog Park
- Cary Dog Park
- Dog Park at Dix Park
- The Alley
- Jack Smith Park
- Northgate Dog Park in Durham
- PetSafe Dog Park in Durham
- Southern Community Dog Park in Chapel Hill
- Homestead Dog Park in Chapel Hill
- Sugg Farm in Holly Springs
- Berkshire Manor Dog Park in Carrboro
- Hunter Street Dog Park in Apex
These puppy trainers near you will have them following orders in no time:
- Teamworks Dog Training at 3717 Overlook Rd
- The Dog Wizard Raleigh at 4801 Glenwood Ave Suite 200
- Topline K9 Solutions at 6300 Creedmoor Rd
- Training Your Best Friend at 7041 Old Wake Forest Rd
- Dynamic Dogs of NC at 5600 Kittansett Ct #5437
- Paws in Training at 5917 Chivalry Ct
- Whole Dog Institute at 5922 US-70 BUS, Durham
- Jackie’s Basics & Beyond Dog Training at 230 E Johnson St, Cary
- New Hope Dog Training Center at 719 New Hope Church Rd, Chapel Hill
- Sit Means Sit Dog Training at 125 International Dr #G, Morrisville
- Camp K9 Training at 1600 E Williams St, Apex
- Born to Lead Dog Training
Teamworks has group puppy training schools, private training, and even dog board and train programs available.
Topline K9 Solutions has over 40 years of expertise as a trainer and can teach you the right skills and leadership in a way that your dog understands allowing you to get faster results, improve communication, and enjoy a well-mannered bestie.
You and your dog will get all of the expert positive training methods and knowledge you’ll need to enjoy a long, healthy, and happy life together if you contact Training Your Best Friend.
Dog training on or off leash, obedience, behavior modification, and pet sitting are all services provided by the licensed trainers at Dynamic Dogs of NC.
Paws in Training has a small group of animal trainers that provide dog and cat training and behavior services.
Whole Dog Institute in Durham that provides private lessons as well as group sessions in obedience, therapy preparation, reactive classes, K9 nose work, and agility for fun.
AKC star puppy, beginner, advanced, and other training programs are available at Jackie’s Basics & Beyond Dog Training in Cary who uses reward-based training in all of their group, private, and in-home training.
New Hope Dog Training Center in Chapel Hill has taught everything from Chihuahuas and wolf hybrids to German shepherds and Labs at their location and they also provide in-home dog training.
Expert dog and puppy obedience training that takes a balanced approach to training them to become a happy, confident, and obedient pup can be found at Sit Means Sit Dog Training in Morrisville who offers a day train program, private lessons, group classes, and other services.
At Camp K9 Training you can let them take a one-week board and train program in Apex plus they can do private lessons and off-leash behavior modification.
Born to Lead Dog Training can do private, in-home dog training in your area.
On a special occasion give them a great treat from one of these local dog bakeries:
Not only can you get delicious fresh baked treats at Woof Gang Bakery & Grooming but as the name suggest they also do pet grooming and sell grooming supplies. The homemade gourmet dog treats from Bone Appétit Bakery are all natural and free of any wheat, corn, soy, or grains.
Raleigh Pet Grooming
To help your dog or cat look cuter than ever bring them to one of these Raleigh pet groomers:
- Top Notch Pet Spa at 8521 Cantilever Way #103
- Pawfection Salon NC at 1540 Dunn Rd #120
- Pupsi at 8260 Chapel Hill Rd
- All About Pets Grooming at 240 Newton Rd
- Bark Pet Grooming at 6300 Limousine Dr #10
- City Pet Grooming at 727 W Johnson St
- Petropolitan Dog Grooming at 8123 Herndon Rd, Durham
- Mosa Pet Spa & Resort at 931 Manchester Dr, 213 Waldo St, Cary
- K9 Perfection Grooming Salon at 1129 Weaver Dairy Rd R, Chapel Hill
- Decadent Dogs at 1901 NW Cary Pkwy #106, Morrisville
- Paws Fur Grooming at 132 W Holly Springs Rd, Holly Springs
- Love Overboard Kennels & Grooming at 710 W Rosemary St, Carrboro
- Groomingdales at 536 E Williams St, Apex
In addition to grooming Pupsi also does dog boarding and training in Raleigh.
Expect to find a comprehensive range of services including flea and tick treatments, specialty shampoos, and tooth brushing at the All About Pets Grooming near you.
Bark Pets has been grooming professionally for two decades and is happy to give your little buddy a bath and brush or full all over body haircut and they have worked with nearly all breeds ranging from charming mixes to some more uncommon species.
City Pet Grooming is a boutique style salon that offers haircuts and baths with regular shampoo, blow dry, claws clipped, ears cleaned, glands expressed, and more.
For a full-service private local grooming salon in Durham with experienced and knowledgeable employees head to Petropolitan Dog Grooming.
Mosa Pet Spa & Resort in Cary is a family-owned and run full-service pet spa that provides holistic one-on-one grooming services along with fantastic indoor and outdoor play facilities.
K9 Perfection in Chapel Hill is an upmarket dog grooming salon that believes that comfort, care, and compassion should come first along with with loving attention and great service.
If you are trying to find a full-service boutique style pet salon in Holly Springs with a mobile grooming van if you prefer they come to you contact Paws Fur Grooming.
Love Overboard Kennels & Grooming employs an experienced staff that provides very good grooming and boarding in Carrboro.
Groomingdales is a full-service pet salon in Apex that provides styling, grooming, and day care plus they sell premium pet food.
We are not aware of any dog, cat, or pet cafes in Raleigh at the moment. If you know of any please tell us in the comments at the end of the post so we can add that info to this page, thanks.
Hotels That Allow Pets
For a hotel that allows pets stay at:
- Aloft at 2100 Hillsborough St
- Hyatt House at 160 Park at N Hills St
- Hilton at 3415 Wake Forest Rd
- La Quinta Inn & Suites at 2211 Summit Park Lane
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites at 11400 Common Oaks Dr
- 21c Museum Hotel at 111 North Corcoran St, Durham
- Best Western Plus at 1722 Walnut St, Cary
- Graduate at 311 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill
- SpringHill Suites at 1100 Marco Dr, Apex
Pet Boarding In Raleigh
These Raleigh pet boarding services are where to go when you need to take a trip:
- Suite Paws Pet Resort & Spa at 110 S Rogers Ln
- Dogtopia of North Raleigh at 4708 Hargrove Rd
- Dog Diggity Daycare & Boarding at 8109 Ebenezer Church Rd
- Dog Gone Happy at 7041 Old Wake Forest Rd #103
- Paws at Play of Brier Creek at 9108 Glenwood Ave
- Dog Tales Day Camp & Boarding at 1204 Patterson Rd, Durham
- PetSound Daycare & Boarding at 305 C, Ashville Ave, Cary
- Green Beagle Lodge at 6805 Millhouse Rd, Chapel Hill
- Brier Creek Pet Hotel at 2616 Triple Oak Dr, Morrisville
- The Biscuit Garden at 2112 E Williams St, Apex
You can really pamper your dog or cat by letting them stay at Suite Paws Pet Resort & Spa.
In addition to local boarding and grooming there are also some veterinary services available at Dog Gone Happy.
Dog Tales Day Camp & Boarding is an owner-operated dog boarding facility in Durham featuring hiking trails, creek beds, and play areas that maintains a boarding maximum of roughly 12 dogs at a time so they can focus on the individual requirements of each.
Attentive caring doggy daycare and boarding by highly knowledgeable and experienced animal savvy professionals is available at PetSound Daycare & Boarding in Cary who also boards cats.
Green Beagle Lodge is an all-inclusive resort for dogs in Chapel Hill of all shapes and sizes where you can get boarding, daycare, grooming, and training together with the 5 star treatments.
Brier Creek Pet Hotel in Morrisville is ready to fulfill your pet’s boarding, grooming, and daycare needs.
The Biscuit Garden is Apex’s newest overnight boarding and daycare facility keeping your pet active and happy throughout the day through group play with other dogs or one-on-one connection with their caring staff members.
Best Veterinarians Near You
If unfortunate medical problems arise go to one of the best veterinarians in your area and get the best care:
- Quail Corners Animal Hospital at 1613 E Millbrook Rd
- Complete Pet Care Animal Hospital at 9500 Falls of Neuse Rd
- Bowman Animal Hospital & Cat Clinic at 8308 Creedmoor Rd
- Hidden Valley Animal Hospital at 2315 Lynn Rd Suite 104
- Raleigh Community Animal Hospital at 1108 Dresser Ct
- Page Point Animal Hospital & Pet Resort at 115 Page Point Cir, Durham
- Cary Veterinary Hospital at 1233 NE Maynard Rd, Cary
- UrgentVet at 1728 Fordham Blvd #161, Chapel Hill
- Shiloh Animal Hospital at 1005 Lichtin Blvd, Morrisville
- Holly Springs Veterinary Hospital at 1050 N Main St, Holly Springs
- The Animal Hospital of Carrboro at 112 W Main St, Carrboro
- Lake Pine Animal Hospital at 1200 Old Raleigh Rd, Apex
All of the above should also be able to do the basic vet care like flea and tick prevention, parasite control, vaccinations, microchipping, and standard surgeries on animals.
Quail Corners Animal Hospital and Complete Pet Care Animal Hospital provide 24 hour emergency veterinary care in your area.
Raleigh Community Animal kind of does everything because we will also briefly be mentioning them again in our grooming, dog training, and boarding facility sections.
Page Point Animal Hospital & Pet Resort is a full-service veterinary clinic in Durham that provides skin care, nutrition, surgery, dental care and oral surgery, and more treatments along with a pet hotel, fitness center, spa, and grooming.
Full medical, surgical, dental, and boarding care for pets can be found at Cary Veterinary Hospital who has an experienced group of physicians, technicians, and assistants that work hard to deliver treatments that are tailored to each individual patient’s requirements.
UrgentVet in Chapel Hill is available for after-hours pet illness and injury that isn’t serious enough for a pet emergency hospital and they regularly treat cuts and scrapes, back pain, not eating or drinking, itchy skin, urinary tract problems, vomiting, pain, toenail injuries, abscesses, mild lameness, eye discharge, and more.
For an innovative full-service animal hospital that is devoted to delivering the finest treatment for your animal by integrating contemporary conventional medicine with traditional Eastern medicine and adapting it to the unique requirements of your dog or cat visit Shiloh Animal Hospital in Morrisville.
Holly Springs Veterinary Hospital is a full-service facility that offers comprehensive companion animal care including wellness screenings, surgeries, and dental treatments.
The Animal Hospital of Carrboro is an AAHA-accredited small animal facility where you will find a full variety of treatments for your cat or dog including immunizations, emergency care, and everything in between plus they provide pet boarding and self-washing stations.
Anyone that wants a full-service local small-animal veterinarian in Apex can contact Lake Pine Animal Hospital who offers routine, comprehensive, and emergency medical treatments for your pets as well as soft tissue surgeries and complete oral health care and treatment.
Pet Cremation & Euthanization
When the sad day comes you can get your dog, cat, or other pet cremated at:
- Azure Holland A Mobile Veterinary Service
- Care First Animal Hospital at 1216 Oberlin Rd
- Carolina Pet Cremation at 5725 Glenwood Ave
- Serenity Pets at 208 S Hoover Rd, Durham
- Faithful Companion at 105 International Dr, Morrisville
- Companah Pet Cremation at 9204 Eisenhower Dr, Apex
You can get in-home pet euthanasia services or individual and communal cremations at Azure Holland Mobile Veterinary Service.
Care First Animal Hospital also does pet euthanasia and animal cremations.
Carolina Pet Cremation provides two options for pet cremation which include returning the ashes to the owner or scattering the ashes in one of their two meadows plus they can provide euthanasia for those who would prefer to simplify the end of life process.
Serenity Pet Cremations in Durham can do pick-up and delivery while offering a selection of framable ornament-quality paw prints.
Environmentally conscious and compassionate cremation options for pet owners in Apex are available with Companah Pet Cremation who can do flameless and water cremations while supplying a range of urns to commemorate and memorialize your lost loved one.
More end of life care is available at Quail Corners Animal Hospital and Hidden Valley Animal Hospital. The City of Raleigh Animal Licensing Program has been discontinued so you don’t have to get a pet license anymore.
Remember to contact the SPCA of Wake County for pet adoptions and surrenders. They can also help if there is a lost or found dog, cat, or other pet.
You may want to read some of our other guides for these nearby cities:
Have Fun With Your Pets In Raleigh
We tried to cover the scene in full for you in this post. You just learned about a whole lot of pet stores, animal shelters, adoptions, dog parks, puppy trainers, bakeries, groomers, cafes, hotels that allow pets, places to board your dogs or cats, and even veterinarian or cremation services near you.
We bet our readers would be really thankful if you could let us know if you noticed anything incorrect, or if you could share your own local pet tricks and tips. Hopefully you have a great time visiting any Raleigh pet stores, shelters, dog parks, or whatever places you learned about on this page.